Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Highlight Reel presents This Week's Recap for September 2nd

THIS WEEK’S RECAP…

It is good to be writing again. The Highlight Reel went on an unscheduled sabbatical last week after some events beyond my control preoccupied my attention. On Saturday, August 25th, I took my mother to the emergency room in Eden, NC at around 10PM. She was in extreme discomfort. She had an abscess form near her rectum that needed medical attention. She underwent surgery on the abscess Sunday and remained in the hospital until Tuesday. That, added to my current workload from Greensboro College, kept me away from The Highlight Reel for a week.

However, my mother is fine now thankfully. I have nothing but the most sincere gratitude for everything that helped during this trying time. My sister, Tonya, and Aunt Deborah and Uncle Roy all helped to make sure I stayed in shape for classes while the well wishes of other family, friends, and even Michelle Beadle (she sent a direct message on Twitter that was amazing) meant the world to me because I believe they helped speed my mother’s road to recovery. In addition, schoolwork is back under control so I believe it is time to write once again.

On with The Highlight Reel…

Superstar of the Week: Clint Eastwood



I am not very big into politics. Honestly, I have so little faith in our country’s government at this point in time that those who do not know me any better might consider me anti-American.  With that said, I still tuned into the Republican National Convention nightly to listen in on a few of the key speakers. The majority of the speeches were forgettable. Republican VP nominee Paul Ryan came off like a serial killer while Republican Presidential nominee Mitt Romney was just pompous and douchey enough to be presidential material. The real star of the entire convention though was a man not even running for office. He is only getting his name out there to promote Trouble with the Curve.

In a surprise speech before Mitt Romney accepted the Republican nomination, legendary actor Clint Eastwood came out to give a brief endorsement of Romney. Scheduled to speak for three minutes, Eastwood spoke for 11 minutes in the one of the best celebrity meltdowns ever on live television. During this speech, Eastwood spoke to an empty chair for minutes in a conversation with President Barack Obama. He told jokes and interacted with the crowd in a way that was less “engaging Republican endorser” and more “crazy dementia-riddled grandpa in need of his meds.” Still, it made for amazing television.

I am sitting with President Obama during his visit to my home.
#Eastwooding

A new social media trend, Eastwooding, is all the rage on Twitter and Facebook. Plus, Clint Eastwood is the talk of the town for the first time in ages. That is not a bad thing with a new movie, Trouble with the Curve, hitting theaters this month. Congrats to Clint Eastwood for stealing the show at the Republican National Convention.

Jerk of the Week: Lance Armstrong

On August 23rd, Lance Armstrong announced that he was ending his fight against the USADA instead of continuing to fight against allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his illustrious bicycling career. In the following days, the French Cycling Federation stripped Armstrong of his seven Tour de France titles while Armstrong’s image took a hit from which it will never recover. Despite allegations and rumors clouding him for years, Armstrong never admitted guilt or defeat until now. In the court of public opinion, Lance Armstrong’s refusal to continue fighting these allegations symbolizes an admission of guilt. Lance Armstrong cheated and lied about it for over a decade.

I admit that I was one of many who cheered for Lance Armstrong for years. I admired his accomplishments. In all honesty, I still respect his accomplishments because Lance Armstrong won seven Tour de France races after overcoming life-threatening cancer. The fact that he cheated is somewhat nullified by the fact that cycling is so drug-filled and PED loaded that the only clean cyclists finish in the low 200s in these events. My main problem with Lance Armstrong is that, despite ending his defense, he still refuses to admit that he cheated. Just admit it, Lance. Don’t admit it with a passive aggressive refusal to fight for your innocence anymore. Admit it outright.

Babe of the Week: Kelly Clarkson



A Melancholy Happy Trails to…
- Neil Armstrong, 82 - American astronaut and first man to walk on the moon (or a soundstage resembling the moon) (August 25th)
- Jerry Nelson, 78 - American puppeteer and most notably The Count on Sesame Street (August 23rd)
- Phyllis Diller, 95 - American comedienne (August 20th)
- Tony Scott, 68 - British film director (Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Unstoppable) and producer (August 19th)

No comments:

Post a Comment