Monday, March 18, 2013

The Highlight Reel presents This Week's Recap for March 18th


THIS WEEK’S RECAP…

Superstar of the Week: Jorge Mario Bergoglio - a.k.a. Pope Francis I

On March 13th, cardinal electors voted Jorge Mario Bergoglio the new Pope of the Catholic Church at the papal conclave of the 2013 after the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI on February 28th. Elected after the second day of the conclave, the church announced the election of Bergoglio at 7:06PM local time. Before his time as Pope, Bergoglio was a Cardinal from Argentina and Archbishop of Buenos Aires. In his first address, Bergoglio took the name Pope Francis I.

I am not a Catholic. In fact, I am such a poorly educated individual when it comes to religion that I really cannot say what I am. I mean, I am a Christian person. However, I could not tell you if I am a Southern Baptist, a Lutheran, a Presbyterian, or whatever other denomination is out there. My beliefs may not fall into any of those categories. What I am though is a believer in a Higher Power, a believer in God’s son dying for my sins on the cross, and a believer in everybody being a decent human being and treating everyone else with kindness. The words and beliefs expressed by Pope Francis I are sentiments I agree with 100 percent. He is a good man pushing a message of goodness and kindness - a message that should be universal for all of humanity regardless of religious affiliation. 

The election of a new pope is a huge news story globally. There have only been 266 Popes in the history of the Catholic Church. While not a religious man, I am a fan of current news and global events. This is one of the biggest stories possible. Congratulations Pope Francis I and good luck in your Holy endeavors. With the world gong to Hell in a hand basket, you will need all the luck you can get.

Jerk of the Week: Justin Bieber 

This would be an awesome internet meme is somebody knew how to spell "from."

As much as I stress the importance of being a good person and not wishing ill of others, some people just bring ill will upon themselves. Justin Bieber is one of those people. 

In the last two weeks, Bieber has finally shown cracks in his armor and signs of an impending meltdown as the teenage pop star embarrassed himself repeatedly during his European tour. Bouncers ejected Bieber from some and rejected him from other nightclubs in London while the pop star celebrating his 19th birthday. Bieber showed up two hours late for his own concert and received a chorus of boos from fans and parents alike in the aftermath of his unprofessional and uncaring behavior. The following night, Bieber followed that tardiness with a staged display of heroics as he collapsed on-stage, “received medical attention,” and then returned to finish his performance. Bieber got into an altercation with paparazzi, as seen in the above images. Then, upon hearing that his second concert in Portugal was not a sell out, Bieber canceled the show in a display of pure egotism.

I hate Justin Bieber’s music. I hate Justin Bieber’s style. I hate everything about this punk. The last two weeks have shown millions of Bieber fans a glimpse of the egotistical jerk lurking behind his autotuned vocals and young lesbian Ellen DeGeneres impersonator appearance. I hope that this is the beginning of a nice, long descent into mediocrity and eventually obscurity. 

Babe of the Week: Mila Kunis



A Melancholy Happy Trails to…
- Jack Greene, 83 - American country singer (March 15th)
- Claude King, 90 - American country singer (March 7th)
- William Moody, 58 - Professional wrestling manager best known as Paul Bearer or Percy Pringle, III (March 5th)
- Hugo Chavez, 58 - President of Venezuela and “friend” of America (March 5th)

A Very Special Finger Wag of Shame to… Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift's "shocked face" - a tradition unlike any other.

I know, Taylor, I know. I am as shocked as you are. However, after some of your recent comments, I have to do it. Taylor Swift, you deserve a finger wag of shame. 

In a recent interview with Vanity Fair magazine, Swift responded to a question about Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s jokes about her troubled love life at the Golden Globe Awards by saying, “there’s a special place in Hell for women who don’t help other women.” Swift was paraphrasing Katie Couric - who was paraphrasing another woman when offering Swift some support after the incident. While I agree with the sentiments of the statement, Swift showed in this instance that she could not take a joke - a problem becoming repetitive for the singer. In November 2012, Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood joked about Taylor Swift’s love life with a punch line quoting “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” Not only did Swift not find the joke funny, it apparently sparked a feud between Swift and Underwood.

Taylor Swift is a great role model for young girls. She is successful, smart, talented, and does not get into trouble. Her main flaw is that she is a serial dater. Most girls her age are though so that really is not a major issue either, in my opinion. However, Swift makes it a point of contingency with every publicized relationship, break-up, and autobiographic break-up song. Swift thrives on this vicious cycle so much that it has created an image of her as a boy crazy songwriting opportunist. That image is one easy to make the butt of jokes. As comediennes hosting an awards show, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, did just that with one joke and nothing more. Swift overreacted and looked awful in the aftermath of her comments.

Taylor Swift is at a crossroads of sorts with her career. Still arguably the most successful artist in the world today, Taylor Swift reminds me of Shania Twain more with every accomplishment and every performance. Both started as country artists. Both quickly found crossover success with the pop world. Both saw their music become more pop than country to a point where country radio is no longer playing certain songs. Shania Twain, for all the success she has now, never reclaimed her career heights once she ventured too far into the pop waters. The same is true for Faith Hill. I fear that Swift may be following their career path too. While I am still a fan, I am not as big of a fan of this new pop princess Taylor Swift as I was of the country girl who charmed me the first time I heard her sing “You said the way my blue eyes shined put those Georgia stars to shame that night, I said that’s a lie.” 

I think that Taylor Swift needs to remember the country side of her artistry that won her so many fans so long ago. In addition, more importantly, Swift needs to develop a sense of humor. There is a difference between derogatory remarks or harassing remarks and a simple, innocent joke. Come on, Taylor. You are better than wishing eternal damnation on Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

No comments:

Post a Comment